Monday, March 16, 2009

On the Town

As the weather gets warmer and the flowers continue to bloom and trees return to their perky green, I'm sure you will get ample chance to witness opining about my pretty city. All last week, the weather was blah. Cold, grey, rainy, foggy, zero fun. Yesterday after I got home from church and had lunch, I laid down for a long winters nap with my trusty feline, who of course was exhausted after a week of being truly obnoxious at all hours of the night/early morning.



(Sidenote: Francis does not like it when I have guests. Particularly Jason. He is a very jealous cat and does not appreciate it if he feels that someone is an interloper on any attention that might normally be directed at his furry self. He takes his anger out by utilizing his full arsenal of tactics in waking people up at annoying times, including but not limited to: slamming his face into your ears/eye sockets/nose/general face area, walking all over you, standing with his foot on your throat so it is difficult to breathe, laying directly across your face so it is difficult to breathe, howling at the top of his lungs, scratching at the blinds, attacking your feet under the covers with his claws/teeth. Jason said that he woke up at one point and Francis was standing over him maliciously pressing his paw over Jason's nose. This makes it very difficult to sleep when he is angry. It also makes you kind of hate him for a while.)

Anywho, Francis and I slept for a solid three hours or so, and when we awoke, found that it was sunny outside! That meant that it was time for me to begin my new determination to exercise (I've used up all my pilates classes and grown lazier immediately.) So I find my tennis shoes in the trunk of my car (where they've been for...a really long time...), fire up the ipod, and head down the street. By the time I reached Frazier Avenue, it is apparent that everyone else in Chattanooga was equally thrilled/inspired by the pretty weather. The people in this town come out in droves when the weather is even remotely nice and this was certainly true yesterday. There were people everywhere. Some out for exercise, some out for a casual stroll, all along the bridges and riverbanks. Aside from learning that my tennis shoes definitely don't fit properly, it was a lovely day to go outside, and I look forward to many more. But then, when your city looks like this (courtesy of treehugger.com - ha), how could you not take it in?

4 comments:

Krisan said...

you live in such a fun place! if i had a pedestrian bridge right outside my front door i would be on that thing every day!! so proud of you for digging out your tennis shoes :)

love you!

Unknown said...

That picture of Francis scares me. Tell me when he's moved past catne and feels more comfortable with guests.

Emily Lilley said...

Now that I have purchased him some classy stainless steel bowls, his catne has cleared up nicely. He's just going to have to outgrow his fear of friends, though.

Milla said...

Oh my your kitty is scary. And I LOVE the name Francis... how funny! I've never been to Chattanooga, but it reminds me of Pittsburgh with all the beautiful bridges! How great...

(I need to dig out my tennis shoes, too!)