Monday, October 6, 2008

It's a hard knock life

As I sat here at my desk, only moments ago, working on the City Events Calendar for the November/December issue of the magazine, I came across the fact that "Annie!" will be playing at Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium here in town on November 25. In reminiscing over my childhood memories ("We LOVE YOU Miss Hannigan...") of the classic musical (and by so doing, developing a clever lead,) I thought hey, isn't it convenient that this particular musical is coming to town right as we're circling this looming global recession (or LGR as it has affectionately become known around the office)...then I realized who it is that must be behind the LGR - TAPA 2008-09 Broadway series. They have clearly planned this entire economic crisis in order to cleverly draw the masses to see "Annie!" at Memorial Auditorium.

I mean, it's a classic tale of silver-lining optimism in the face of dark situations (orphanages! the great depression! people named "rooster"!) and it's always enjoyable, but in these days of shaky (read: historically repetitive?) economic and political landscapes, we could all use a reminder that "The Sun will come out tomorrow." But people these days, in this world of movies with huge exploding special effects and cynicism, people don't watch musicals anymore...so how to draw people out to the theater? And there you have it. An LGR so big it reminds people of the Great Depression, and homeless people are getting out their fedoras again, and the government is acting like a vast, supporting Daddy Warbucks, lending us $700 billion to pick ourselves up again. Thanks a lot, Tennessee broadway musical fans. Perhaps next year you'll make your intentions to go see the musicals clear sooner, and we won't run into these kinds of problems again. If Americans will just renew their interest in musical theater, the Ghosts of Gilbert and Sullivan would stop sneaking into the Wall Street investment banks and haunting around, whispering bad ideas about risk and derivitives into greedy bankers' ears. Problem solved, Mr. Bernanke.

In other news, Claire, once a prominent figure in blogs gone by (she was practically the co-author and co-star of the legendary livejournal) has vanished into the abyss that is Houston. Our once beautiful friendship is now reduced to voicemails, poignently reminiscent of Jim and Pam on The Office now that Pam is in graphic design school. I'm not sure who should be held responsible for this (of course I am looking into the Broadway musical people first), but something must clearly be done. My life is less colorful, and certainly less entertaining, without her constant presence. Perhaps if I kidnapped the child, I could entice the Elliotts to move closer to me. I'll have to write Lucy a letter and see what she thinks.

Although I thoroughly enjoy coming home to my own apartment, I certainly miss my roomates, who now have roomates of their own (of the friend or husband variety.) I was thinking the other day about our pet raccoon, Ray (if you have ever watched a raccoon feel around rapidly with its paws for food on the ground while looking up with its face and eyes at other things, you know why his name was Ray.) And about how our apartment was fully decked out for Halloween, then the day after, Claire had wrapped our front door in Christmas paper, and we started stringing lights. We even (unsuccessfully) attempted to toss one of those nets of lights over the bradford pear kind of by Claire's turret. Unfortunately, the logistics made that effort impossible. The leg lamp in the window was perhaps the crowning achievement of our holiday decor, in addition to the amazing swag of various light strands on the balcony that inspired the entire apartment complex to haul out the holly, so to speak.

Another thing I have been thinking is that I really love scarves. They are so functional, I mean, it's amazing how much warmer you are when your neck is warm. But they are also such a nice look, and their current in-ness means they're even better right now. Go, scarves!

I was just handed a proposal for a book store who will potentially sponsor book reviews in the magazine. As I would love nothing more than to write book reviews, I must now go see if I can sign myself up for this job.

No comments: